2 Peter Series - Part 3
“If the whole church goes off into deception, that will in no way excuse us for not following Christ.”
“What you are to preach is determined by God, not by your own natural inclinations. Keep your soul steadfastly related to God, and remember that you are called not to bear testimony only, but to preach the gospel…Never water down the word of God, preach it in its undiluted sternness; there must be unflinching loyalty to the word of God; but when you come to personal dealing with your fellow men, remember who you are – not a special being made up in heaven, but a sinner saved by grace.”
FILL IN THE BLANK
To ____ is Human; to _____ Others to _____ is ___________
Questions for the Heart
- Have you ever been mislead by false teachings under the guise of Christianity? What modern day examples of false teachings are there - even within “the church”?
- Has God ever used you to rebuke false teaching? How did it go?
- Darby said “ The devil is never more satanic than when he carries a bible”. How does this statement apply to false teachers?
Questions for the
- READ: 2 Peter 2:4-11; Jude 6-10;Genesis 6:1-9, 19:1-26; Num - Look up the word apostasy. What are the 3 examples that Peter gives? How is apostasy related to immorality? Who are the “sons of God” (Gen 6:4)? How are they judged? Peter describes
Lotas righteous. Is that the first word that comes to mind when you think of Lot? How many times is Lotdescribed as righteous in vs 7 &8 of Peter? Why is he described as righteous?
- READ: 2 Peter -16; Jude 9-12; Num 22:1-38; - How are false teachers described? Who are especially vulnerable to them? Look up the Greek word for seduce, “deleazontes” for an insightful definition. How is the principle of “whatever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” illustrated? What was Balaam’s motive for ministry? How did God judge him?
- READ:2 Peter 2:17-22; Jude 13-19; Mat -45; Gal - What word pictures are used in vs 17 to demonstrate false promises? How is the promised freedom actually bondage? Is Peter teaching that God’s elect can lose their salvation? Why is it better not to have known real truth then to know it and then reject it? How does the Matthew passage correlate?
- How do you judge what you hear and read? Do you take the speaker’s word for it or do you measure the teaching with the bible? Do you ask the Holy Spirit to give you discernment? Remember we are to judge only the teaching. God will judge the teacher.
- At Bridgeway, we are blessed with many different ministries that help us grow in Christ. Take every opportunity to bring Christ’s truth to those who need to hear.