Matthew - Part 25
Wanted: Dead - Matthew Series - Pt. 25
1/10/09 -1/11/09 - Matthew 26:47 - 27:31
The Trial of the Messiah
"There is a time when to avoid trouble is to store up trouble, and when to seek for a lazy and cowardly peace is to court a still greater danger." William Barclay
"It is better to die for a conviction than to live with a compromise." Vance Havner
"I am as sure of His direction as I am of His salvation." Jim Elliot (martyred)
Passionate __________ makes _____________ strong that much ____________.
Questions for the Heart and Spirit
1) Warren Wiersbe said: "Judas yielded to the devil in his great sin (John 13:2,27); Peter yielded to flesh when he denied his Lord; but Pilate yielded to the world and listened to the crowd." How do each of these areas of temptation continue to operate in your life?
Questions for the Mind
1) Read: Mat 26:47--54; Gen 9:6; Rev 13:10; Ecc 3:1-8 Do you think Jesus is teaching passivism? How would you define passivism? Were Peter's intentions misguided? What did Jesus' response demonstrate? Do you think Jesus was giving a glimpse of the future when he returns? How are victories won in Christ's kingdom? (Eph 6:10-18)
2) Read: Mat 1:1; Mat 26:54-56,63-65; Isa 53:7; Pslm 110:1, Dan 7:13 ; Zech 13:7 What people group was Matthew's gospel directed? How does the opening verse of Matthew tie the OT with the NT? Why are these scriptures especially powerful? How did the high priest respond to Jesus' words in vs. 64. Why?
3) Read: Mat 26: 33-35, 69-75, 27:3-10; Jn 21:15-19 Both Judas & Peter betrayed Jesus. How were their actions similar? Different? What is the difference between being remorseful & being repentant? Do you think Jesus would have restored Judas as he did Peter?
4) Read: Mat 27:11-31 2 Sam 1:16, 3:28; Acts 18:6 Who was Barabbas? What does his name mean? Consult a bible dictionary. The crowd cried out for the release of Barrabas and the crucifixion of Jesus. How do their actions confirm the "type" of messiah they were looking for? Why did Pilate go along with the crowd? How has the crowds' words (vs25) been fulfilled throughout history?
What type of messiah are you looking for? Do your actions agree with what you say you believe? Ask a friend for an honest answer.
Have you ever been betrayed by a close friend? Betrayed a friend? If someone comes to your mind instantly, that may be an indication that it is still a wound. Pray for God's guidance.